Windsor: Ontario's Gretna Green
From about 1885-1913, Windsor and neighbouring Sandwich became a haven for couples from the United States looking for quick and discreet weddings. They came by ferry from Detroit and places further afield, e.g. Toledo and Cleveland, purchased a license, were directed to the clergyman of their choice, who then married them in short order, with few questions asked. Windsor and Essex County became known as Ontario’s Gretna Green.