People Coming from all Over
Throughout the 19th century St John’s had a geographically diverse parish, though demographic trends changed over time. From 1842 until 1845, Sandwich was by far the most common place of residency for parishioners. While 65% of parishioners were from Sandwich, Windsor was a distant second place at 12%, barely edging out the Irish Settlement near present-day Oldcastle which made up 10% of the community. By the 1860s, however, Windsor became the most common place of residency at 59%, and Sandwich parishioners now made up 29% of the community. Additionally, there were no longer members from the Irish Settlement, because St. John’s helped to establish St. Stephen’s Anglican parish in Oldcastle closer to the settlement in the preceding years, and built a cemetary nearer to the settlement itself in 1860. Previously, St. John's had the only Anglican cemetary in the area until this time. It is also important to note that by the 1860s, 5% of the parish were from the United States, reflecting the area’s growing cross border culture. Lastly, there were individual instances of residencies listed from far away places such as Quebec and Scotland. These could not have been permanent parishoners, and were likely Anglicans who were either travelling through the area or temporarily living in the region.